How To Use Blackout Curtains Or Blinds to Induce Sleep
Darkness is key to keeping our bodies on the right wake/sleep schedule and our bedrooms are anything but dark.
We’ve got phones shining in our faces and blinds that don’t do anything to block the bright streetlight outside.
Darkness signals a melatonin release – the brain chemical that makes us sleepy.
All of this light at night can throw off the whole system and lead to sleep loss and chronic health problems.
It’s important to gradually reduce the amount of light around you as you approach bedtime and to keep it dark when you’re sleeping.
Any Light Is Not Good
Light can inhibit the secretion of melatonin, the hormone that is your body’s natural sleep drug, which is why turning off overhead lamps helps us feel drowsy.
You can still detect even a small amount of light — from your alarm clock or your neighbor’s garage — through closed eyelids.
Champion sleepers tell us they’ve noticed that when they make their room pitch-dark, they wake up feeling more refreshed than when it’s just partly dark.
A Remodelista article about sleep and light says: Scientists at Tulane University studied melatonin production and found that sleeping in a room with even dim lights caused melatonin levels to drop, affecting not only the ability to fall asleep but also to stay asleep. “In total darkness,” they note, “even if you can’t sleep, your melatonin levels will increase normally.”
If you’re having trouble sleeping, darkness can really help!
Blackout shades block tons of light, but they’ll always have small light gaps that allow the shades to raise and lower without scraping your window.
This is fine for most people, but if you’re a night shift worker who sleeps in the day – that little bit of light can stand between you and the sleep you need.
“Opaque curtains or blackout shades can block light from outside, especially from the new headlights and street lamps that use energy-efficient LEDs, which emit light in the blue part of the spectrum — the most sleep-sabotaging of all.
Inside the room, clocks with red numbers are less disruptive than ones with white or blue digits; turn yours so it’s facing away from you-“https://www.nbcnews.com/better/wellness/14-smart-products-help-you-fall-asleep-faster-n765111.
You can try these resources for black out shades:
- Trim at home for the perfect fit inside or outside your window frame, then install in seconds without a drill, screws, or brackets- no tools needed
- ✅ READY MADE: 2 panels per package. Each Classic Lined Curtain measures 52" wide x 63" long (Total width is 104"). The unique design of silvery grommet (1.6 inch inner diameter) creates casual elegance for your house, which makes the curtains easy to install and slide.
- Enjoy modern, blackout, stylish, energy saving, eco-friendly, easy to use with efficient honeycomb cordless cellular window blackout shades
- 100% LIGHT BLOCKING to make your room as dark as night in the light of day - darker than curtains!
- Material properties:100% Non-woven Fabrics material-Safe,nontoxic,breathable and environmentally friendly.It can block most of the ultraviolet and harmful dust,to provide a comfortable environment for the family.
- ❤Top Quality Fabric: Our cordless roller shade is made up of 100% blackout fabric, and the back of shade is coated with silver. So it can shield UV and sunlight in summer and block the cold air in winter. You could wipe it clean with a cloth dampened in a mild cleaner.
- ★ROLLER SHADES INCLUDES- 1* Roller Shades, 1* Stainless Steel Bead, 2* Brackets, 4* Expansion Screws& Screws, 1* Installation Instructions, 1* Children Safety Device.
- This blackout cellular shades have two-side colors, one side color is Cool Silver and the orther side color is white. Both of each side can be installed. Operated by a cordless lift system, offering child safety and making it easier to control the raising and lowering of the shade.
- ❤Top Quality❤ Cell Size: 9/10 inch. Fabric: 100 Percent polyester yarn. These blackout honeycomb shades allow no light to pass through the fabric (they are foil lined). Features a cordless design to offer safety and a clean look while also providing a high level of insulation to keep out summer heat and winter cold.
- Features a cordless design to offer safety and a clean look. Looking for Child and Pet safety window covering? The Blackout Cellular Shades have been tested and Certified Child and Pet Safe by Parents for Window Blind Safety and Best for Kids. (To identify Child and Pet safe product, please look for products that carry the Child Safe Logos).