Did you know that left nostril breathing can help you sleep better?
This recently came to my knowledge and is starting to show up way more now that people are focusing on self-care and the metaphysical aspects of life.
Breathing is such a normal thing we do, it’s not something we tend to focus on, but when we do, magic can happen.
Breath is also called Prana which means life force energy and when we breathe through only our right nostril it can feel very energizing.
However, if you close off your right nostril and breathe in through the left one, you will begin to feel at ease and calm.
This method of breathing really helps to calm your nervous system and has been found to reduce large amounts of stress and anxiety.
It is also helpful in preparing the body for sleep and to sooth restlessness and sleeplessness.
This happens because:
“This technique activates the parasympathetic nervous system by breathing through the left nostril, including digestion, elimination,
sleep cycles, dilates blood vessels, decreases pupil size, and other metabolic processes.
If your mind is racing or you just can’t fall asleep, left nostril breathing is a great non-pharmaceutical remedy.
Please note that in this breathing technique, one inhales through the left nostril.
You can exhale out of either the left or right side, but to get the calming benefit of this practice, you must inhale in through the left nostril.
Yoga students reported that their sleep improved after one week of this breathing practice, or pranayama.
The Steps to Left Nostril Breathing:
-Block off the right nostril with your thumb or finger and breathe in through your left nostril only.
-Exhale through the right nostril.
-Use slow, even, deep breaths in and out, inhaling fully before exhaling and exhaling fully before inhaling again.
-Repeat this breathing practice for 3 to 11 minutes”
Doing this practice for just 11 minutes every night right before bed for 40 nights (40 nights just because that seems to be the amount of days most people do challenges for something, like the squat challenge or planks challenge) in a row.
Using this breathing technique will help you to just completely settle down at the end of your long stressful day and let your body know that it is time to get some well-deserved rest.
Check out these “Left Nostril Breathing” resources:
- New Age NY Company
- Fast, all-natural relief from allergies and sinus congestion - without drugs!
- Moisturizes your dog's nose, reviving and softening the nose with layers of all natural butters and oils
- GREAT NASAL HYDRATION for Seasonal Dry-out, Arid Climates, Plane Flights, High Altitudes & Sore/Chapped Noses
- REMOVES mold, smoke, germs, bacteria, viruses, common allergens & pet dander from the air in your home
- UPDRAGE!!: TONELIFE nasal wash with Unique construction ON/OFF Button Switch,release your index finger, totally different with most of the nasal wash bottle in the market.
- PREMIUM FRENCH ATLANTIC SEA SALT- Contains beneficial trace minerals. Unlike the common sodium chloride rinses that contain baking soda, this rinse causes no burning or discomfort.
- Prime Video